Thermal Blinds

thegreatfox
What is a BOM?

Thermal Blinds

Post by thegreatfox »

Is anybody planing on thermally insulating the gantry/upper part of the printer from the build chamber as stratasys does?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zughal
What is a BOM?

Re: Thermal Blinds

Post by Zughal »

Can you please explain how this works ?
Thank you

MirageC
Site Admin

Post by MirageC »

The idea I had initially was to use blind or brush along the Y axis and to flow coolant within the X 2020 cross member. Print head would then be protected using a shield on the nozzle. But I have to admit, this solution is very interresting to.

thegreatfox
What is a BOM?

Post by thegreatfox »

Zughal wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:18 pm
Can you please explain how this works ?
Thank you
Hi Zughal, do you mean the mechanics or the overall purpose of the thermal blinds?

As for the purpose of the blinds, they are used to thermally insulate the actively heated chamber from the top part of the printer. Lets say you aim for a heated chamber of 90°C to be able to print certain materials, then you either need to actively cool your components like the printhead, steppers etc. to avoid jams or technical defects or you can make a thermal barrier in this case in form of a blind to protect the components above the gantry from overheating. In my opinion having a system like this is cheaper and more reliable than cooling every single component. SSYS is doing this for decades, guess there is a reason for that ;)

The challenges I see here are:
1. designing a reliable mechanics with very little friction to avoid unnecessary load on the motion system
2. choosing components which can be sourced world wide (if seen some pretty interesting ones but at my local home depot so probably not the best choice)
3. choosing components which are safe for this application (fire-retardant)
3. making it future proof to work with extensions like a tool changer

Zughal
What is a BOM?

Post by Zughal »

Thank you so much for the explanation, I have learnt so much from this forum.