Recommended Material for Enclosure

guitartoys
Printed Parts ready

Recommended Material for Enclosure

Post by guitartoys »

Hi,

Pretty straightforward. I'm just wanting recommendations for materials for an enclosure. I'm feeling like Plexi would only be good for the door. As I feel it is too hard to work with as it cracks.

I'm looking for something that I can drill and cut.

And maybe provide a little additional frame rigidity

Should I just use ABS plastic sheets?

Can anyone also recommend a supplier in the US (I'm in Virginia) other than Home Depot or Lowes

Thanks

Michael

JUMBO_walrus
What is a BOM?

Re: Recommended Material for Enclosure

Post by JUMBO_walrus »

Polycarb is what I have used. The stuff is actually quite easy to cut and drill. I use a 120 tooth circular saw blade for large cuts and a jigsaw for smaller. I have normally gotten the sheets from Amazon or Home Depot.

- Keegan

guitartoys
Printed Parts ready

Post by guitartoys »

Thank you, I will give it a try. I want to get at least the one panel installed on the right side to hold the electronics. So I can get this thing working.

Michael

ne0tec
What is a BOM?

Post by ne0tec »

Vibond / Alubond / Dibond is a fantastic plating material. It is PE sandwiched with Aluminium. But be careful with expansion of the 2 different materials and the tension that can build up when you tighten the plate to your construction (as you mentioned extra frame rigidity)

Overall, it gives your machine a very nice finished look. It's quite expensive though

guitartoys
Printed Parts ready

Post by guitartoys »

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up getting sheets of Polycarb. I'm happy with how it looks. If I start printing some high temp stuff, I will likely insulate it.

Thanks.

M