Particle / fume capture

Serbitar
Frame Assembler

Particle / fume capture

Post by Serbitar »

I would like to add some sort of air filter to capture the fume/particle emissions from printing.

I think the ideal solution would filter and recirculate the air within the enclosure so that minimal emissions remain once the job is completed.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before? What kinda of solutions do you use?

Aure3D
Printed Parts ready

Re: Particle / fume capture

Post by Aure3D »

Blowing instead of vacuuming, and I think that if I had to do that I would use car cabin filters.
One on insufflation and one on aspiration.

Aure3D
Printed Parts ready

Post by Aure3D »

I have just looked a little more because the subject is interesting.
In France there is this:
https://www.alveo3d.com/fr/accueil/

And I was just aiming because these are the same activated carbon filters that are used in cars so it is quite possible to make something with a car filter.
But a system with two filters and insufflation.

This filter is for Ford Fiesta (I choose random I think Ford is in all around the wolrd, and the Fiesta is little car), he is activated carbon : HELLA HENGST - E2964LC

ProtoMon
HevORT Apprentice

Post by ProtoMon »

The activated carbon ones are also called "aldehyde" or "smokers package" filters.
I use them in my car even though I don't smoke, and they really do work well for the odors, so should be perfect for a printer.

I'll see if one half of the filter for my RX-8 fits a pair of 120mm fans, my minds eye says it's about the right size...
LDY3-61-J6X from the dealer, or "RA-16" from ATP brand. Gets you two filters.
The engineers at Mazda obstructed the filter change flap with a brace, so the filter had to be split in half to enable service... :lol:

Serbitar
Frame Assembler

Post by Serbitar »

I had not thought about automotive cabin air filters. Seems like a great idea to me. Maybe these could be attached to the intake side off HevORT. I think the fans I have on order would easily cope with the extra resistance. Maybe I should keep the used one next time my car gets serviced.

Jhonno
HevORT Builder&Operator

Post by Jhonno »

I was looking at using an automotive filter too! Cheap and easily available.. I like my BMW's so was going to look at one of those. My 5 series runs 2 smaller ones. Or my 3 series has a longer single one.

Toyer
What is a BOM?

Post by Toyer »

I'm currently using that https://forum.prusaprinters.org/forum/o ... nd-others/ in an 500x600x600 enclosure for a mk3s, works well when printing the "smelly"stuff. I've tried both variants (Delta Fan, Blower Style Sanyo Fan) and stuck with the Blower Style Fan, as I could not get enough air through the filter with regular fans.
That enclosure is quite airtight, running the filter closes the door and keeps it shut but all you really need is small negative pressure in the chamber so no fumes can escape. Solution works for me - it's cheap, easy to source the parts and easy to print.

I've looked at activated carbon filters that hemp growers use like https://www.amazon.de/AC-Infinity-Austr ... th=1&psc=1 because those are easily attachable to standard inline tube AC fans although a bit more pricey - would have been plan B if the other filter had not been sufficient.

unbuckled
What is a BOM?

Post by unbuckled »

I saw this design at Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4095912

Using the basic concept of the designer, I designed and adapted a filtering device that I'm using on my Lack enclsoure with an Ender 3 Pro.
The hepa style filters and activated carbon pellets are easy to replace as needed and available online.

The device sits in a horizontal direction, air is drawn through the hepa style filters, through a 120mm Noctua NF-F12 industria lPPC-3000 fan, on its way passing through a chamber packed densely with activated carbon pellets, then exhausting into ambiet air.

The hepa style filters do an excellent job on screeing out the coarser particulate and the carbon pellets do a pretty good job of capturing most of the noxious fumes.

Still a work in progress and I have only experimented with PLA, PETG & ABS. With PLA & PETG there is absolutely no odours, with ABS there is still a somewhat noticeable odor but nothing near to that if I was printing ABS without the filtering system.

What I have found thus far is that the carbon pellets do a very good job of absorbing the noxious fumes, but only if there is an adequate volume of carbon and secondly the air flow has to be such that therre is time for the carbon to capture the elements, so to fast an airflow will not result in a thorough capture and to slow of speed just results in heat build up inside my enclosure.

My next step is to double the volume of activated carbon and see what results I get, at present I have a removable cage of pellets which is over 2inch in thickness through which the air passes into ambient.
Possibly look at recirculation, but I have to get the airflow and activated carbon density adjusted properly first.

Serbitar
Frame Assembler

Post by Serbitar »

Sounds interesting, one thing i looked at was the actived carbon drum type filters but thought they were far too large. What you said suggests they are huge for a reason (low air velocity for decent flowrate).

I was intending to run the filter recirculating within the enclosure. I guess i have to think about venting excess heat without venting fumes somehow.

Toyer
What is a BOM?

Post by Toyer »

Don't fuss around with venting heat - the materials requiring filtering (ABS, ASA, PC,...) do profit from hot ambients, most will warp badly if you can't keep the environment hot enough. In my enclosure I have a hard time getting the temp above 40°C with the filter off (recirculating won't make a difference to that) on long prints - never hit 50 unfortunately, so I think you are on the safe side.
I usually print with the filter off (Chamber is pretty airtight), when I'm done printing I put the filter on 100% fanspeed, open the door half a centimeter (made a latch to keep it open) and let the filter do its work for about 5 - 10 minutes before opening the door and removing the print.
I've also tried running the filter at 25% during the print job but that has a negative impact on chamber temperatures so I prefer the other method.
I've never smelled ABS since.