HevORT Builder&Operator

Retraction - Firmware vs Slicer

Post by OlegOK »

Please comment what you use and why.

MirageC
Site Admin

Re: Retraction - Firmware vs Slicer

Post by MirageC »

Firmware all the way! I keep tuning it on the fly :)

thegreatfox
What is a BOM?

Post by thegreatfox »

I think for evaluating the retraction parameters or when always printing with the same/similar material using firmware is fine. But if you often print with different materials slicer is the way to go in my opinion

MirageC
Site Admin

Post by MirageC »

By creating Filaments profiles into the Duet, parameters will be loaded when you change it. you can insert anything:

Here is an example of my PLA filament profile:
Pla_Profile.png
I never used firmware retraction. Is it actually works better?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

M3NT8L
Printed Parts ready

Post by M3NT8L »

MirageC wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:43 pm
By creating Filaments profiles into the Duet, parameters will be loaded when you change it. you can insert anything:

Here is an example of my PLA filament profile:
Pla_Profile.png

I never used firmware retraction. Is it actually works better?
I have never used anything but the slicer for retractions? Didn't realize it could be done otherwise. I have specific profiles for filament type, brand and print type (mechanical vs decorative) stored in my slicer profiles with everything (about 12 different profiles so far). Maybe Ill play around with macros, but I find myself changing setting so often that in the slicer seems easier?

Speaking of slicers - Ive been trying different ones out for the last couple months. I think I'm landing and sticking with ideamaker. I doesn't have direct load up to the duet over wifi, but everything else seems to tickle my fancy a bit more than Cura.

OlegOK
HevORT Builder&Operator

Post by OlegOK »

M3NT8L wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:20 pm
Speaking of slicers - Ive been trying different ones out for the last couple months. I think I'm landing and sticking with ideamaker. I doesn't have direct load up to the duet over wifi, but everything else seems to tickle my fancy a bit more than Cura.
I did try Cura again couple of days ago and immediately went back to Simplify3D :| It doesn't have direct load up to the duet either, but I don't mind.

lemonyx
Frame Assembler

Post by lemonyx »

Being new, I tried Cure, but found Prusa much easier to use and "free" . I'll have to get out and try more.

derobiwan
What is a BOM?

Post by derobiwan »

OlegOK wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:32 pm
M3NT8L wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:20 pm
I did try Cura again couple of days ago and immediately went back to Simplify3D :| It doesn't have direct load up to the duet either, but I don't mind.
I am using S3D as well and this script makes it possible to upload the sliced file during saving the file to file system. Just replace the IP address with the one of your HevORT and it should work:

Code: Select all

curl --data-binary "@[output_filepath]" "http://192.168.2.10/rr_upload?name=gcodes/[output_filename].gcode"
curl "http://192.168.2.10/rr_gcode?gcode=M32[output_filename].gcode" 
curl "http://192.168.2.10/rr_disconnect"
Last edited by derobiwan on Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DieProfikeit
What is a BOM?

Post by DieProfikeit »

I am using S3D too.

Automated upload to the printer sounds great. Where do I put this script?
Last edited by DieProfikeit on Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derobiwan
What is a BOM?

Post by derobiwan »

I just corrected my code in the post before...

So you put the code in Process Settings -> "Scripts" -> "Additinal terminal commands for post processing"
When you save your sliced model it will execute the script and upload the gcode to duet and start the print.
Just make sure that if you are using Windows that you have curl installed, not sure if that comes with Windows. You can test it by opening a command prompt and execute "curl". The promp should give you a help message on how to use curl.

It also works that way with Octoprint in case someone is using this as well.

Let me know if it worked for you!?