My 515x515x540 HD12 Build

Show us your beautiful builds !
Beano
HevORT Builder&Operator

Re: My 515x515x540 HD12 Build

Post by Beano »

Beautiful, great news :) Well done, Mate, keep this updated with your progress!
HevORT Buildlog - Project Nemesis -> viewtopic.php?f=17&t=585

teeminus
HevORT Builder&Operator

Post by teeminus »

Congrats, finally :) :D
🇩🇪

Jhonno
HevORT Builder&Operator

Post by Jhonno »

Beano wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:28 am
Beautiful, great news :) Well done, Mate, keep this updated with your progress!
Cheers man, will do.. I'd say as a machine it was 80% complete, but it is functional now.

First stage will be the TMC5160's arriving this week, the 2209's just constantly overheat if you try and run them above 1.6 amp, even with a (makeshift) fan on them. I will print an all inclusive control board mount to include a fan mount for the board/drivers.

I am also suffering with skipped steps when trying to run it at a higher speed during Z-Tilt movements, but I am not sure what acceleration it will default to when doing Z tilt moves.

Also need to redo my extruder mount and sort some hinges, and some LED lighting etc etc.. I think I have a few more pages to add to this build log yet! :lol:

Jhonno
HevORT Builder&Operator

Post by Jhonno »

teeminus wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:34 am
Congrats, finally :) :D
Cheers man! Thank you for your help and input along the way.

Jhonno
HevORT Builder&Operator

Post by Jhonno »

TMC5160's arrived and fitted. Worked straight away. Looks like I was fruitlessly chasing a hardware failure rather than builder failure!

Beano
HevORT Builder&Operator

Post by Beano »

Great news!

And lols at your last statement, reminds me recently dumping the HextrudORT because I kept having stepping issues, using a variety of steppers and hot-ends….and the culprit turned out to be clogging the heat-break because the fan used for cooling was to small. Shipped with the Mosquito, might be a dud. Of course, realised this after re-engineering an EVA design to suit my purposes :)
HevORT Buildlog - Project Nemesis -> viewtopic.php?f=17&t=585

Jhonno
HevORT Builder&Operator

Post by Jhonno »

Beano wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:09 pm
Great news!

And lols at your last statement, reminds me recently dumping the HextrudORT because I kept having stepping issues, using a variety of steppers and hot-ends….and the culprit turned out to be clogging the heat-break because the fan used for cooling was to small. Shipped with the Mosquito, might be a dud. Of course, realised this after re-engineering an EVA design to suit my purposes :)
Haha! Annoying isn't it! All those hours for something simple..

I got my PT100 working today using the PT100 step stick. My previous issues were due to defining the steppers as SPI4 and the PT100 as individual pins. Both now defined as individual pins and working nicely. Installed a fan in the top of the enclosure to cool the drivers. Lost a lot of time again to a part failure. I had a dodgy PT100 that as soon as the wire moved it broke the connection and caused Klipper to shutdown, which was another issue that lost me a lot of time doubting my setup. Now designing my part cooling duct, which will double to add a 3rd point of contact to secure the extruder/hot end assembly.

I'm working on getting it to print at speed now. Starting at 100mm/s. 5k acceleration.

Below was the Benchy in progress until it popped off the bed.

https://i.imgur.com/Xvzhv9d.mp4

This is with 50mm/s^2 jerk.

https://i.imgur.com/1zR90pw.mp4

It's messy, uncalibrated PLA with no proper part cooling (just a room fan blowing on it). But the printer was working well.

Jhonno
HevORT Builder&Operator

Post by Jhonno »

First completed print.. Of course it is a Benchy.. 29 minute one at that.

I think most of the issues are filament based, but it is some free PLA I got so not too fussed to iron them all out. I'll only be printing in PETG/PA12 CF and Nylon really. Maybe some PC if I get adventurous. Next big step would be PEI/PEEK, but that is some way down the line.

lede
Frame Assembler

Post by lede »

This is so great to see! Congratulations on finally make it this far, one small step for for your printer one giant step for Jhonno! Now I'm so envious and need to get back to working on my printer.

Jhonno
HevORT Builder&Operator

Post by Jhonno »

lede wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:15 am
This is so great to see! Congratulations on finally make it this far, one small step for for your printer one giant step for Jhonno! Now I'm so envious and need to get back to working on my printer.
Cheers man.. :geek: It was indeed a giant step for me. A hobby I picked up 18 months ago, started building a printer 8 months into it and finally getting prints out of it, having learned A LOT along the way. Steep curve given my printer was handed to me already working.

Had some lessons in printing Nylon CF at speed tonight.. It needs cooling to print smaller layers.. I knocked up a 40*40*40 cube and single walled it to test pressure advance and tune probe offset.

On the left is what happens without cooling.. On the right some cooling, I upped the speed until failure without changing the fan speed.. So a sub 2 second layer time.

So I need to add some more cooling to print higher speeds.. Well, smaller layers at speed, probably that in combination with lowering the speed for smaller layers.