Igus Drylin Linear Rails

JUMBO_walrus
What is a BOM?

Igus Drylin Linear Rails

Post by JUMBO_walrus »

Has anyone installed Igus Drylin Linear Rails on their HevORT? Or does anyone have any experience with them on other machines? They look like a nice alternative to ball rails. And the pricing looks to be decent as well. I'm planning on running dual rails for my X, so I would think the weight capacity shouldn't be an issue.

-Keegan

mavmav
What is a BOM?

Re: Igus Drylin Linear Rails

Post by mavmav »

I have and the results unfortunately where not too good.
They looked like great alternatives - lightweight, really quiet and somewhat less expensive.

Did a bit of research before purchasing but the only way to find out turned out to be by trying them.
So I spent a lot of time modifying the wobble wing parts and XY mounts and putting things together.

I used Igus N Guide Rails - 27mm on the Z axis and build plate slides.
They looked good and moved well.
The problem is too much play with the sliders and the bed would wobble around while printing.
Especially at speed. About 1mm, just enough to screw up the print.

I installed the same N Guide Rails - 27 mm in parallel along the Y axis.
That jammed repeatly.
Same issue, the sliders had too much play and the X axis would skew and bind.
No amount of adjusting and belt tensioning I tried would make it work reliably.

For the X axis I used an Igus 12mm T Linear guide rail.
Its their equivalent to a regular linear rail.
This I had high hopes for due to its extreme lightness - its aluminium.
Nope, not with a 388g Hemera bolted onto its side.
It cant take any type of side load and will bind.

The problem is none of the rails could take any type of side or twisting force.

Metal linear rails obviously have much higher tolerances and the strength to handle the side stresses.
There is more of that going on than I first realized.

Live and learn.

JUMBO_walrus
What is a BOM?

Post by JUMBO_walrus »

mavmav wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:17 am

Live and learn.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I was hoping that I could run these with my dual rail setup because they would be considerably lighter than 2 steel rails. But, alas, 'twas not meant to be.

- Keegan

toni1982
What is a BOM?

Post by toni1982 »

@mavmav There are sliders with an adjustable play within the Igus linear rail series. Also - only one slider per axis is meant/required to be without play.
The other requires a little play to prevent jamming. Imagine an ultra-wide gantry, gliding over, like, 10 shafts in parallel. The shafts are arranged vertically and the (horizontal) gantry moves forward and backward on them. All of the sliders have a little left/right play, so the whole gantry has some left/right play. If you now remove the left/right play on just one of the sliders, it will be removed from the whole row, since they're all connected to a rigid object.
The play-free bearing is called the fixed bearing, the other the "loose" or "floating" bearing. For example, if you have a gantry with play-free sliders at both ends, it means you are allowing *zero* deviation for the straightness and parallelism of the rails. Like a deviation of not more than 0.00x mm, (~0.0000x inch) in any direction over the whole length of the rails, which is technically virtually impossible to achieve. Yet alone because of temperature expansion or bending.

I'm just about to start with my high-temp printer build using Igus rails and I'm pretty confident about it.

Btw. higher precision means lower tolerances. Tolerance is the allowed deviation from the "perfect" state.
Going for higher tolerances means you have lower precision requirements. Since you're "tolerating larger deviations". Simply put - the higher the tolerance, the higher the errors/inconsistencies.