Supplier List for USA

lede
What is a BOM?

Re: Supplier List for USA

Post by lede »

FYI I used onlinemetals.com for getting the MIC6 aluminum plate. Wasn't the cheapest but it was to my spec. So far most sites I went to in the US only take dimensions in inches so I had to get my build plate cut to 13" and I'll build around that size. I used had them cut it from their .25 inch stock which is a little over 6mm.

And thanks for the list, you had a couple of vendors I hadn't ran across. McMasters-Carr has also the added benefit that all their products now have a 3D model you can download and include in the design projects.

kurtd5105
What is a BOM?

Post by kurtd5105 »

lede wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:26 pm
FYI I used onlinemetals.com for getting the MIC6 aluminum plate. Wasn't the cheapest but it was to my spec. So far most sites I went to in the US only take dimensions in inches so I had to get my build plate cut to 13" and I'll build around that size. I used had them cut it from their .25 inch stock which is a little over 6mm.

And thanks for the list, you had a couple of vendors I hadn't ran across. McMasters-Carr has also the added benefit that all their products now have a 3D model you can download and include in the design projects.
Yeah, I wasn't able to get mine cut exactly either since industrial sites like this seem to only use inches. I assume that there is some room in the bed design to get the closest fit possible. My 415x415 print area says I need a 440x440 bed plate. That would mean that there is already some amount of gap in the frame tolerance for this. In addition, the bed square that the bed plate mounts to sits under and there seems to be enough clearance. The thickness probably also doesn't matter either for the same reason.

Same when it comes to the print surface. Most places online only give 410x410, so that's the size of my print surface. I might need to make some slight adjustments in the firmware to make that work (and maybe move the endstop out 5mm), but it should be doable.

Mcmaster-Carr seems like a good resource to get decent quality bolts and I'll probably check them out in the future. What's their shipping speed and cost like? Finding the random screw brands on Amazon has at least the benefit of usually arriving in 2 days, sometimes in hours.

lede
What is a BOM?

Post by lede »

kurtd5105 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:15 pm
Yeah, I wasn't able to get mine cut exactly either since industrial sites like this seem to only use inches. I assume that there is some room in the bed design to get the closest fit possible. My 415x415 print area says I need a 440x440 bed plate. That would mean that there is already some amount of gap in the frame tolerance for this. In addition, the bed square that the bed plate mounts to sits under and there seems to be enough clearance. The thickness probably also doesn't matter either for the same reason.

Same when it comes to the print surface. Most places online only give 410x410, so that's the size of my print surface. I might need to make some slight adjustments in the firmware to make that work (and maybe move the endstop out 5mm), but it should be doable.

Mcmaster-Carr seems like a good resource to get decent quality bolts and I'll probably check them out in the future. What's their shipping speed and cost like? Finding the random screw brands on Amazon has at least the benefit of usually arriving in 2 days, sometimes in hours.
Not sure on the turn around time for McMasters-Carr but their prices usually seems a little more and I usually can find places to beat their price. They do have hard to find items and when your crafting a new design it really is nice that they have downloadable models of all their products. I'm not sure how you can get one but they have a really thick catalog which also include part designs and specifications. I think you have to order a lot from them before they send one to you but it is also another resource.

munsterlander
What is a BOM?

Post by munsterlander »

Would it benefit us to have a public github repo in table format for all the parts with links to suppliers that we could all update, etc? In short, I started ordering my parts this week and that entailed - as we all know - reading this thread and searching for each item. I started an Excel document and have finished it for every single part with quantity needed (415x415x440 build), quantity needed to order, cost of the part, and link to a supplier. I was doing this so I could lump order parts to reduce shipping. A lot of it though, I went the Amazon route - it will be a bit higher cost - but trying to buy from so many of the stores on Aliexpress the shipping costs ate up the savings. Anyway, just trying to think of a way where we could crowd source these lists and make it more accessible. I am also not against the lists if they were affiliate links for @MirageC so it would fund additional research. Thoughts?

kurtd5105
What is a BOM?

Post by kurtd5105 »

lede wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:07 pm
kurtd5105 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:15 pm

Not sure on the turn around time for McMasters-Carr but their prices usually seems a little more and I usually can find places to beat their price. They do have hard to find items and when your crafting a new design it really is nice that they have downloadable models of all their products. I'm not sure how you can get one but they have a really thick catalog which also include part designs and specifications. I think you have to order a lot from them before they send one to you but it is also another resource.
Yeah it's great you can import their parts in. Though generally with 3d printing it isn't quite precise enough where the difference between their parts and some random parts would cause things not to fit in my experience. Most of the bolts and nuts I ordered ended up being uxcell branded which worked fine.
munsterlander wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:17 am
Would it benefit us to have a public github repo in table format for all the parts with links to suppliers that we could all update, etc? In short, I started ordering my parts this week and that entailed - as we all know - reading this thread and searching for each item. I started an Excel document and have finished it for every single part with quantity needed (415x415x440 build), quantity needed to order, cost of the part, and link to a supplier. I was doing this so I could lump order parts to reduce shipping. A lot of it though, I went the Amazon route - it will be a bit higher cost - but trying to buy from so many of the stores on Aliexpress the shipping costs ate up the savings. Anyway, just trying to think of a way where we could crowd source these lists and make it more accessible. I am also not against the lists if they were affiliate links for @MirageC so it would fund additional research. Thoughts?
Yeah a repo could be helpful to have a list of links to all the materials. Granted with Amazon at least, some parts get discontinued or run out of stock so there would be some long term maintenance required. On top of that, other configurations would change the BOM thus changing the required amount of bolts etc. No enclosure vs enclosed vs heated vs soundproof will also have different requirements.

I'm fairly against Aliexpress just because it takes so long to get the orders. The best way would be to as you said, bulk order from Amazon and just select an Amazon day so they can ship them in as few packages as possible. You're still going to get cheap parts from China, just pre-imported that arrive in less than a week. In my case I unfortunately forgot quite a few random bits, or was short a few pieces. I bet my USPS mail person hates me due to the amount of random packages I've had streaming in each day. I found especially with bolts and nuts I seemed to be low, despite counting out the amount I ordered and the amount it said to order in the BOM.

Other things not mentioned are the tools required. A drill, dremel and deburring tool are super important for this build. I learned the hard way I needed to just buy a drill when I got to drilling the aluminum plate. I've been using an impact driver whenever I needed to drill in the past (impact setting off) but that didn't work great for metal as well as its worked for plastic in the past. The dremel of all things I used to make one of my ball screws thinner at the top, by sanding it down. The bottom was also too thick but I got it most of the way in and it's in there probably for good unless I cut the bearing off or bought a vice. You'll need a wire stripper and crimper, some sort of connectors ie dupont, crimp on connectors for the PSU and SSR, allen keys, a square, ruler, calipers, etc.

lede
What is a BOM?

Post by lede »

kurtd5105 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:16 am
Other things not mentioned are the tools required. A drill, dremel and deburring tool are super important for this build. I learned the hard way I needed to just buy a drill when I got to drilling the aluminum plate. I've been using an impact driver whenever I needed to drill in the past (impact setting off) but that didn't work great for metal as well as its worked for plastic in the past. The dremel of all things I used to make one of my ball screws thinner at the top, by sanding it down. The bottom was also too thick but I got it most of the way in and it's in there probably for good unless I cut the bearing off or bought a vice. You'll need a wire stripper and crimper, some sort of connectors ie dupont, crimp on connectors for the PSU and SSR, allen keys, a square, ruler, calipers, etc.
I agree having a list of very helpful tools would be good to list. I have probably most of the tools I would need to build my printer except a good way to accurately cut the extrusion so I ordered precut to the sized required in the Frame Calculator sheet. Another one to add to the list is drilling gigs for the 2020 and 3030 and a set of metric taps.

rootboy
What is a BOM?

Post by rootboy »

I recently purchased the 2020 and 3030 extrusions pre-cut for a 565 X & Y, 590 Z, STD_HT frame.

I went with 8020.net for the parts, and the parts that I ordered and their costs appears below. I'll follow that up with my impressions and overall satisfaction of my experience with 8020.net.

2020 parts:
Length - 20.08 Inches (510 Millimeters) x $0.18
Cut To Length - 1 x $2.11
Unit Of Measurement Millimeters
$11.45 2

Length - 22.44 Inches (570 Millimeters) x $0.18
$12.30 2

Length - 26.81 Inches (681 Millimeters) x $0.18
$6.94 1

3030 parts:
Length - 5.51 Inches (140 Millimeters) x $0.27
$14.39 4

Length - 25.98 Inches (660 Millimeters) x $0.27
$73.01 8

Length - 26.38 Inches (670 Millimeters) x $0.27
$46.16 5

Length - 29.92 Inches (760 Millimeters) x $0.27
$30.57 3

Length - 44.49 Inches (1130 Millimeters) x $0.27
$84.73 6

Order Overview
Subtotal $279.54
Shipping & Handling $49.03
Tax $30.40
Grand Total $358.97

My rational was that I wanted to find a vendor that would do the cuts for me because I realize that not everyone has a machinist friend, or the ability to cut the parts precisely.

First impressions.

The bad:

The website is a mix in that you can easily find the part that you are looking for, but things like how many cuts you are purchasing will take a calculator to verify. The website lists just one cut when you order multiple pieces, but it was included in the price in my case. So while it isn't apparent, you are paying for "one" cut per piece that you purchase.

The website also made it much more difficult than necessary to modify my order. I started and stopped at least three times, and eventually got smart and used an incognito window to "phantom" shop. Lastly, to this day my account on 8020.net still does not show that I've put in any orders.

Definitely needs some work.

The mixed:

The parts took about three weeks to cut and ship. I don't consider this bad at all since business is booming at the moment, and I'm pretty sure that they sussed out that I wasn't going to be buying extrusions on a regular basis. But I can see where some folks might find this excessive.

Feeling the need to find out why I hadn't seen an order, I called customer service to find out why. They were helpful and gave me a realistic date (which they met) for the order to be shipped. So good on them over at customer support for taking care of me, but bad on 8020.net that I felt the need to call.

The good:

The parts were carefully packed, and while pretty heavy, survived shipping without a scratch.

The great:

My friend had told me to that I could just buy the extrusions and he would rough cut them and then mill them to spec. Instead, I took the extrusions over to his shop and the first thing that he did was to measure each piece. Of the 31 pieces, about 60% came out spot on with what they were supposed to be. The remaining pieces varied by less than a millimeter.

Thurston (my machinist friend) actually did a double take when the first six or so pieces came out exactly to length to see if they had milled them. He said no that they hadn't, and that they must have one hell of a saw guy.

The upshot is that I spent about $65 bucks on cuts that I could have easily avoided. But by the same token, I didn't end up paying extra for 2020 and 3030 extrusions (at $0.18 and $0.27 per inch) that I wasn't going to use. So I figure that I probably spent an extra $30 bucks. Probably far less than that.

This is in no way an endorsement of 8020.net, nor should you assume that your experience will be the same as mine. I haven't been sponsored by 8020.net, nor are they aware of this report.

rootboy
What is a BOM?

Post by rootboy »

rootboy
What is a BOM?

Post by rootboy »

I got my bed from https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/

It's a .250" by 23.25" x 23.25" MIC-6 plate, which is a close enough match to a 6mm by 590mm x 590mm plate for me.

Total cost for it was $116.52 with shipping.

We'll put it on a surface plate when it gets here to see how close it is to tolerance. It does come with an option to include a certificate.